Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Driving to School


Since I started Dental Hygiene school, I have tried to fill my mornings with purpose to prepare myself for endlessly busy days. I am not a scripture study in the morning gal (doing it at night has always worked better for me), and my morning prayers often sound the same when my mind is just turning on for the day, so I have tried to find another way to start my day off on a spiritual, positive note and have found my answer in General Conference talks! 

I admittedly and shamefully have a terribly hard time staying awake watching conference at home, snuggled up to Steve with a tummy full of yummy food. Nothing against conference, I can hardly stay awake for a whole movie either - the struggle is very real. To make up for my droopy eyes on those April and October weekends, I like to catch up by listening to a conference talk or two each morning on my drive to school. There are some I get hooked on and a bit fixated with and replay on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, andddd the rest of the week, but I generally find myself becoming familiar with most of the talks before the next conference rolls around. 

One in particular I've been hooked on is from this last October's Sunday morning session by President Russell M. Nelson titled "A Plea To My Sisters." I find President Nelson so endearing and love his cheerful countenance and love for life. I find myself feeling uplifted and filled with a boost of confidence after hearing his words. 

In this particular talk, he quite literally calls out to the sisters of the church and names distinct attributes that we as women need to strive for and become. I have loved listening to this over and over, because each time that I do, I think of a different woman in my life who fits one of these attributes so perfectly, and then I think of another, and another. 

My dear sisters, nothing is more crucial to your eternal life than your own conversion. It is converted, covenant-keeping women whose righteous lives will increasingly stand out in a deteriorating world and who will thus be seen as different and distinct in the happiest of ways.

I am so grateful for the examples of righteousness, determination, obedience, happiness, and love that I find in my mom, mother in law, sisters, and friends. If you are looking for a better way to start maybe a slow morning, check out this talk and so many others! I love using the gospel library app, or if I'm at home, hopping onto lds.org and find them all there. 

xoxo, Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment